Product Developer – Performancewear
- Are you an apparel Product Developer with the technical ability to fit and seal garments?
- Do you have a background in men’s and women’s, luxury multi-product, with strong experience working with technical performance wear?
- Are you looking to develop your career in product development with an established and growing, sustainably conscious, performancewear brand?
Our client, a leading luxury performance apparel and expedition experiences brand, is seeking a highly organized and energetic Product Developer to join their passionate team in London Bridge, London. The ideal candidate will have 3-4 years of industry experience, having worked at a luxury or premium performance outdoor and/or sportswear brand, and will be responsible for overseeing the development of prototypes, advising on materials and construction, and ensuring that all products produced are of the highest quality and production is delivered in a timely manner.
As a Product Developer, you will be responsible for overseeing and enabling the development of prototypes for luxury performance apparel. This includes working on technical performance outerwear, knitwear, and accessories for both men’s and women’s categories. You will work closely with the design and production teams, as well as suppliers and manufacturers all over the world.
Your main tasks will include but not be limited to:
Demonstrating comprehensive knowledge of garment construction, fabric performance, trim functionality, and manufacturing techniques. You’ll create technical packs (Tech Packs) to ensure specifications, production techniques, garment detailing, and measurements work for the intended use and functionality. You will also manage the Bill of Materials (BOM’s), making updates and amendments to materials, components, consumptions/ratings, and unit costs before sending them out for prototyping. Additionally, you will source materials and trims that align with the brand’s requirements and sustainability commitments.
You will monitor the “Critical Path” and development progress, flagging any delivery concerns and offering proactive suggestions to resolve or mitigate any delays. You will manage costs by accurately recording ratings/consumptions of materials used in the development process and organizing and managing fit meetings to resolve fit issues and suggest pattern alterations. You will work closely with suppliers in the supply chain, visiting them as needed to hand over development and build better working relationships, and resolve technical issues in construction.
You will also provide technical guidance to the design team to achieve the desired aesthetic and performance attributes, and assist design at development stages with fabric and garment construction knowledge. You will have a thorough understanding of performance and outerwear fabric technology, including experience working with lab testing and assessing the results. Good commercial judgement, numeracy, analytical, and strategic approach to work are important, as well as proficiency in Adobe Suite, Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets, and willingness to learn new applications. Experience using Clo3D would be a bonus. Ability to prioritize workload, work under tight deadlines, and meet targets with a positive attitude is essential, and taking ownership of projects is desirable.
The successful applicant will benefit from:
- Hybrid working – Monday and Friday WFH
- Individual Performance Bonus
- £750 Christmas voucher – can be rolled over a couple of years
- Friends and family 20% discount across the brand
- 25 days holidays per year + bank holidays
- A month’s paid sabbatical every 4 years
- Negotiable periods of purposeful, unpaid leave
- Financial Hardship Support
- Bi-annual team expeditions
- Team Challenge every three years